What is Mailchimp?
It’s one of the best and easiest ways to send newsletter campaigns over the internet these days. It’s free to sign up for and very cheap even for bigger campaigns (check out there free plan, which is incredible)
Follow these steps to activate and use Mailchimp with Guest List Event Theme
- Go to your WordPress backend and to the „Theme Configuration“ within the Guest List menu.
- Click on the tab events and scroll down. Choose „Enable Mailchimp“
- Save your changes
- Go to Mailchimp.com and create an account
- In the Mailchimp backend menu – go to „Account Api Keys & Authorized Apps“
- Click on „add a key“ to create an API Key
- Copy that key and go back to your WP Backend.
- Go to your WordPress backend and to the „Theme Configuration“ within the Guest List menu. Notice the new Mailchimp tab on top – click on it!
- You can now paste your API Key in the appropriate box and ckeck if then key is correct. Click on save changes and the big part is already done.
- Choose a default list from mailchimp in the field below. If you don’t have a list set up yet, read below.
You now activated Mailchimp. Congratulations! There is one more thing you have to do. Mailchimp works with lists, which means you can add a list to each of your event. In order to do so you have to create these lists in the Mailchimp backend on mailchimp.com
- Go to Mailchimp.com and sign in
- click on „lists“ on the top navigation.
- Click on the big red button that says „create list“
- Create as many lists as you need. You can create a special list for each event or simply one list for all newsltter subscriptions
- Go back to wordpress. You now have to tell your events which lists to use, if you don’t want to use the same for all of them. In this case, follow step 10 from the list above. So got to „events“ and edit or create a new event you want to assign a list to. Once you opened that event event you will notice that shiny new Mailchimp tab in the guest list options. Click on it on choose the appropriate list. Click on update or publish and that’s it. Mailchimp integration is done 🙂
Now you activated mailchimp. You might want to use the mailchimp email template we provide for your newsletter campaigns. Watch the following video to get an idea on how to use it.
We do provide 2 templates.
- mailchimp template: you have to read your way through the email setup process on mailchimp. Check here
- the events template.
Change it by editing it in your favorite html editor.The template can be found in the theme configuration in Events > Email Template.
You can use several placeholders for the template. The values of these placeholders will be inserted where you use them.
There are two kinds of placeholders.
The ones you can edit and the ones you cannot edit.
For example. If you use the placeholder %EVENTDATE%, the title of the event the user signes up for will be inserted. Youcannot edit the value of this placeholder
However, if you use %TITLE%, you can edit the placeholders value.
Above the template, you see several input fields. In these fields, you can edit the values of the editable parameters.
List of placeholders:
– %LOGO% (the logo you uploaded on the tab “basic” will be shown here, (cannot be used in text only template!)
– %THECODE% (contains the access code for the ticket. DO NOT FORGET TO PUT IN YOUR MAIL TEMPLATE!)
(in fact, the following ones are editable, but only in the event itself)
As of version 1.6, we offer a text version of the email template, too. You can use the same placeholders as for the html version, except for the logo, as it would not render in a text version 🙂